With Fall around the corner, try this simple and balanced recipe that will warm the hearts and stomachs of the whole family.
2 BEAN VEGETARIAN CHILI
Recipe and photo courtesy of myrecipes.com
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped chipotle chiles, canned in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (15-ounce) cans unsalted black beans, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can unsalted pinto beans, drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can unsalted petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- Heat a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat.
- Add garlic, onion, and bell pepper; sauté 4 minutes.
- Add cumin; sauté 30 seconds.
- Stir in 1 cup water and remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove 1 cup bean mixture from pan with a slotted spoon: place in a bowl. Mash beans with a fork.
- Stir mashed beans into chili. Simmer 5 minutes.
THREE WAYS YOU CAN ADD TO THIS RECIPE:
- Add ground turkey or ground beef for a meaty version; cook it with the veggies.
- Use any other type of bean: kidney beans, chickpeas (garbanzo beans), or red beans.
- Swap in 1 can of hominy or 1 cup frozen corn in place of 1 can of beans
Recipe and photo from myrecipes.com
Vivir Bien en Español https://phoenixchamberfoundation.com/portusalud/vivirbien/