Dental hygienists are one of the main reasons behind our beautiful smiles. They keep our teeth healthy and help us smile with confidence that enhances our face value. Many times, you can’t wait to get out of the dental chair to show off your newly pearly whites.
Since they keep you smiling year-round, here are three ways to make them smile during National Dental Hygiene Month.
Brush twice daily – once when you wake up in the morning and once before going to bed at night. Routine brushing helps tame bad breath, cavities, gum disease, and tooth loss. Make toothbrush time effective with these 5 tips:
- Select a toothbrush with a soft bristle.
- Use toothpaste that contains fluoride.
- Brush your teeth using gentle strokes, giving special attention to the gum line.
- Brush your tongue.
- Change your toothbrush once every three months.
Floss once daily – daily flossing helps to get rid of plaque or sticky bacteria from between the teeth, helping to prevent gum problems. Tips for effective flossing:
- Choose the right floss
- Whether made of Nylon or Teflon, choose the floss that suits your teeth structure. Use wide, flat floss if there is a big space between your teeth. Thin floss is recommended if your teeth are closer together.
- Master the technique
- Place a strip of floss between the teeth, wrap it around each tooth in a ‘C’ shape, and clean the surface in an up and down action.
- Use a floss holder
- If you are not able to handle floss well with both your hands, make use of a two-pointed floss holder. This helps you clean teeth, single-handedly.
Regularly visit your dental hygienist – do not wait for bleeding gums or a toothache to rush to the dentist. Visit your dentist twice a year for regular oral checkups and cleaning.
Following this simple routine will give you total mouth protection; and seeing a happy, confident you, your dental hygienist will surely smile.
For more oral health tips and information, visit deltadentalazblog.com.